Atomicism is one of the faiths practiced in After the End. Atomicist is part of the Old World Cultist religious group.
"Originally a heresy of the ancient Atomic Priesthood, the awe and splendor of many who witnessed the effects of the Atom granted this heresy much more success than its father faith. Although atomic theory is practically forgotten, this doesn’t stop Atomicist from revering the Old World technology and the invisible world of vast power they tap into. If they could but find a way to tap into this intangible world, they believe they could become gods themselves! The tumors and radiation sickness, though, they don't talk about as much." ― In-Game description of Atomicist
The origin of Atomicism is unclear, though one could easily see how radiation sickness could be interpreted as some sort of Divine Wrath by a primitive culture. While Atomicists are largely centered around the Chihuahuan, Sonoran, and Arizona Deserts, there are a few communities dotted further east, in areas of great significance in atomic history.
In 2666, Atomicism is possibly the most spread out religion in North America, even surpassing the wide ranging Americanism. With Holy sites on both coasts and in many areas in between, it is centered around the New Mexico & Arizona deserts, revering the holy site of Los Alamos.
Atomicist Characters in 2666
Independent & Their Vassals
- King Luis de Armas of Sierra Madre, often called "the Conqueror"
- Duke Ignacio Marston of Casas Altas
- Señor Friedrich Insbern of Guerrero
- High Chief Marston Buntline of The Pharaohs
- High Chief Durán Cresciteundo of Nuevo México
- Duke Fernando de Jesús Fuentes of Sinaloa
- Duke Eulogio El Cibolero of Transpecos
- Count Javier El Cibolero of Livermore
- High Chief Allen Grey of The Saucers
- High Chief Jojo Kino of Gadsden
- High Chief Edward Kaiser of The Colorado
- Duke Darío Morentin of Sonora, often called "the Unready"
- Count Lucio Fraire of Guaymas
- Count Eusebio Serratos of Bahía Kino
- High Chief Earp Driskill of Mogollon
- Duke Zhuo Minhua of Altar, often called "the Dragon"
- Chief Alfonso de la Concha of Alamosa
- Chief Brumby McJunkin of Phoenix
- Chief Mangas Lipiyán of Acoma
- Professor Pollard of Los Alamos
- Hazardeers, currently led by Captain Sidmund
- Warbirds, currently led by Captain Espejo
- Sons of Oppenheimer (Formed when The Holy Silo is formed)
- Las Vegas: A city in close proximity to the many atomic testing sites in southern Nevada.
- Los Alamos: Testing site of the first nuclear bomb.
- Oceanside: Location of the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
- White Sands: Also one of the first testing sites for nuclear bombs.
- Idaho Falls: Home of the Experimental Breeder Reactor I, the worlds first breeder reactor.
First Strike Targets/Core Regions
Ordered in decreasing importance
- Kingdom of Arixo - 5000 Crusade Weight
- Kingdom of Gran Francisco - 500 Crusade Weight
- Kingdom of Sonora - 300 Crusade Weight
- Kingdom of Sierra Madre - 300 Crusade Weight
- Kingdom of Comancheria - 200 Crusade Weight
- Kingdom of Chicagoland - 200 Crusade Weight
- Kingdom of Appalachia - 200 Crusade Weight
- Kingdom of Deitscherei - 200 Crusade Weight
Weaker Atomicist rulers may call a large host to prepare an invasion. Atomicists may choose one of three Particles. Pious Atomicists may try to go down the Radiant Path, either severely damaging or dishonoring them, or becoming exalted among the priesthood. Priests may marry, inherit titles, and women may own temple holdings. There is no religious head, however a powerful Atomicist ruler who controls at least 3 of the Holy Sites can form the Holy Silo, giving the title of the warhead. Atomicist parents may "bless" their children by exposing them to atomic radiation.
As of 2666, Atomicism has 50.0 morale authority.
A temple holder of the Atomicist faith is called an Adjunct.
Aphites can lower Atomicist moral authority by quarantining Atomisict Holy Sites if they control them, which can be undone by Atomicists if they ever gain control.
- Atomicism's former and current holy sites are each references to significant events in Atomic history.
- Three Mile Island houses a nuclear plant that suffered a partial meltdown in 1979, and was the worst nuclear accident in American history.
- Los Alamos was the testing site for the first nuclear bomb.
- Alameda is home to Lawrence Livermore National Labs, which oversees the safety of American nuclear weapons.
- Knox is home to Oak Ridge, a town built for the refinement of the Uranium used in the Fat Man and Little Boy bombs.
- Chicago was home to the first Nuclear Reactor, Chicago Pile-1.
- (Check if the current ones have events with them)